Saturday, April 2, 2011

Thank you to those who help rescue us!

This was me when mom first met me
back in October of 2008 up at Red Lake
Mom was reminded today of how important it is for her and others to continue the work they do of helping abused and abandoned animals ... of being a voice for us because we have no voice.

Today, I want to thank all the volunteers and Humans who work tirelessly to help us and who pull together to give us a second chance. I want to thank my rescuer Karen Good of Red Lake Rosie's and my siblings Mister and Missy want to thank People for Pets in Spencer, Iowa for saving their lives. And then of course, Pet Haven for taking all of us into their foster program ..... well, actually, I guess it wasn't really 'fostering' since mom 'failed' so quickly and adopted us all!!

I found the following poem on the internet and wanted to share it, and tonight nung-nung, Missy and Mister want to say thanks to all you who give up so much of their time, heart and resources to rescuing abandoned and abused animals! Of course, mom always tells me that in the end it's the Humans that get rescued ... I think the reality is that we rescue each other :)

The Reason  (to you from all your rescue dogs)
~ author unknown

I would've died that day if not for you.
I would've given up on life if not for your kind eyes.
I would've used my teeth in fear if not for your gentle hands.
I would have left this life believing that all humans don't care
Believing there is no such thing as fur that isn't matted,
skin that isn't flea bitten,
good food and enough of it,
beds to sleep on,
someone to love me,
to show me I deserve love just because I exist.
Your kind eyes, your loving smile, your gentle hands
Your big heart saved me...
You saved me from the terror of the pound,
Soothing away the memories of my old life.
You have taught me what it means to be loved.
I have seen you do the same for other dogs like me.
I have heard you ask yourself in times of despair
Why you do it-
When there is no more money, no more room, no more homes
You open your heart a little bigger, stretch the money a
little tighter
Make just a little more room...to save one more like me.
I tell you with the gratitude and love that shines in my eyes
In the best way I know how
Reminding you why you go on trying.
I am the reason
The dogs before me are the reason
As are the ones who come after.
Our lives would've been wasted, our love never given
We would die if not for you.



No comments:

Post a Comment