Monday, November 30, 2009

Doctor Dog ... in Asia I'd be Dr. Ahnung!


After a two week break I'm heading back to my Animal Assisted dog therapy class on Tuesday ... my Human better start practicing with me again if she doesn't want me to embarrass her :) She told me about this cool program called Doctor Dog, an Animal Assisted Therapy program, offered through the Animals Asia Foundation.

From their website:

"Dr Dog is an innovative animal therapy programme that provides people with what they need most - a best friend!

Pioneered by Animals Asia Founder, Jill Robinson, the concept of animal therapy in Asia began with just one dog and a vision to promote animal welfare through people welfare. Dr. Max - a gentle golden giant - was allowed just one hour in the garden of the Duchess of Kent Children's Hospital in 1991....it was a visit that was to mark the start of a positive change in the public's perception of dogs and following in Max's healing paw prints, the Dr. Dog programme has grown quite literally in leaps and bounds!

Over 300 'Canine Consultants', registered as official Animals Asia animal therapy dogs and teams of enthusiastic volunteers make regular visits to hospitals, disabled centres, homes for the young and elderly, orphanages and schools, spreading warmth and unconditional love to people in need in 6 countries across Asia.
..."

"When considered in the light of the millions of dogs and cats, slaughtered for food each year in markets across Asia, our Dr. Dog programme is so much more than a source of support for people.... it represents the driving force behind a new movement to promote the concept of animal welfare in Asia and give hope to the many animals that lie forgotten.

The key role of the Dr. Dog programme in our "Friends....or Food?" campaign is to encourage a respect for all life at a grass roots level, whilst demonstrating the mutually beneficial relationship between people and animals. Our dedicated Dr. Dogs represent a growing number of animal ambassadors working in valuable community roles to help both people and animals in need.
"

Next week i'll be graduating from my animal assisted therapy class ... I can't wait!!! On Thursday, i'm going to "work" at The Lab again. I'm hoping the kids missed me as much as I missed them!! If I were able to volunteer with the Doctor Dog program in Asia I would be called Dr. Ahnung .... hmmm, I kinda like how that sounds -- it suits me nicely!! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment