Friday, January 29, 2010

Spay. Neuter. Adopt

"Until all have homes ... Spay. Neuter. Adopt"

When I was found by my rescuer Karen Good of Red Lake Rosie's Rescue in October 2008 I had just had a litter of 8 puppies. I can't even count how many litters of puppies I had before I was rescued. Now when I volunteer with my mom as we do animal assisted education and intervention work with kids, we go through this exercise where we pretend i was never rescued and that I continue to have puppies. It's a fun math exercise for the kids. It's fun now that I can use my experience as a tool to help educate. But let me tell you, it wasn't fun having litter after litter. I am so grateful that I will never have to have anymore puppies. They are cute and they are cuddly, but too many of my friends already need homes. And my mom shares that with the kids. The kids learn quickly how one unspayed female dog/cat can multiply. The kids go through this spay/neuter math exercise and learn that at the end of two years I would have been responsible for an additional 572 dogs!!! Yes, little ole me would've contributed an additional 572 dogs to the pet overpopulation crisis we already have.

No comments:

Post a Comment