Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Mama robin and her babies ...

After my Human returned yesterday from a business trip to San Francisco she had quite the warm welcome from the entire family! Not only was she welcomed by one Human, 3 big black dogs, and 1 tuxedo cat .... but while relaxing and lounging in the back yard she got to see a mama robin feeding her babies. She rushed inside to grab her camera and came out to catch a shot of the mama robin resting momentarily, with a beak full of worms. For weeks we have watched her diligently, without question, sitting on her eggs. I like to lay against the brick wall on the north side of the house ... with my double coat, I get pretty hot so I'm always looking for a cool spot in the back yard to take my naps. You gotta remember, i'm from up north in the Red Lake reservation area so I can handle the frigid temperatures!

My Human was mesmerized by the mama robin and her babies. We counted four beaks in the nest. I have to say though, mama bird did not pick a very smart place to build her nest, at least from my perspective. My brother Mister caught two baby birds a couple weeks ago, and yes, they crossed over to the other side, thanks to my crazy brother! My Humans were not happy with him. I could hear him mumbling his defense ... something about survival of the fittest, it's part of nature, blah, blah, blah .... His defense didn't stand a chance over the obvious dismay and screaming of my Humans. Me ... well, i see both sides of the story.

Now my Humans are concerned about the baby robins falling from their nest. If they fall into our back yard they fall into the fast track to the other side (i.e. the express route on Rainbow Bridge!) with Mister anxiously waiting for a delicious snack. Yesterday, one of my Humans rigged up a "safety device". Check it out on the photo on the left :) Her hope is that if they fall that they will slide into the other side of our fence. I'm not convinced it will work, but I give her an "A+" for effort!

Of course, my Human has made Henry the kitty very happy who perches himself on the window --- premium seating. One would think that the Nature's variety natural raw diet he's fed (and he now gets rabbit!) would satisfy him ... but apparently not!

As for my Human -- her wish is that the baby robins have a successful first flight when that time arrives .... there's not much room for errors or mistake this go around on their first flight out! I can try to protect them from my brother Mister, but when he has his mind set on something, it's impossible to woof any sense into him!!

No comments:

Post a Comment