Tuesday, May 18, 2010

A Dog's Ten Commandments


1.  My life is likely to last 10 to 15 years.  Any permanent separation from you will be very painful for me.  Remember this before you adopt me.
2.  Do not break my spirit with harsh treatment.  Your patience and understanding will more quickly teach me the things you would have me learn.  Give me time to understand what you want of me.
3.  Place your trust in me -- it’s crucial to my well-being.  Remember that I was bred for activity, both mental and physical and I enjoy playing games, taking walks and an occasional good run.
4.  Don’t be angry with me for long, and don’t lock me up as punishment.  You have your work, your friends, your entertainment.  I have only you and I like being with you.
5.  Talk to me.  Even if I don’t understand your words, I understand the tone of your voice when you are speaking to me, especially when you use friendly tones.
6.  Be aware that however you treat me, I will never forget it.  I am normally a social animal, however I need to make positive associations at a young age to feel confident and well adjusted around other dogs and humans.
7.  Before you hit me, remember that I have teeth that could easily crush bones but I choose not to bite you.
8.  Before you scold me for being uncooperative, obstinate, or lazy, ask yourself if something may be bothering me.  Perhaps I’ve been out in the sun too long or I'm not getting the right food.  I may need medical attention or my heart may just be getting old.  But keep in mind I respond very well to praise.
9.  Take care of me when I get old.  You, too, will grow old.  I only want to love and to please you, so treat me kindly.
10.  And most of all . . .  Go with me on difficult journeys. Never say, “I can’t bear to watch it” or “Let it happen in my absence.”  Everything is easier for me if you are there. Remember, I love you.

- Canine author unknown.

No comments:

Post a Comment